1941 Rock Community Fire Department

At the first Rock Community Volunteer Fire Dept meeting, Feb 6, 1941, 28 volunteer firemen were named and accepted.  Fire Chief, Sylvester Gangloff, promised that the basement of his Arnold Auto Repair Shop would house the fire truck. 

The first fire truck, 1200 feet of hose, and various equipment was purchased from Milstadt, IL, via the Central Fire Truck Co. in St. Louis, for $1640.  However, since funds only amounted to $1046, a fundraising picnic and fish fry was held to make up the difference. 

Homeowners could purchase a $2 fire tag and have it prominently displayed in case of fire.  In no fire tag was purchased, the fire department would not respond!